Sunday, December 15, 2013

FFwD - Mme. Maman's Chopped Liver

Mme. Maman's Chopped Liver
This week's French Friday recipe was dreaded by some Doristas. Many of them do not like liver. Others had never purchased and prepared liver at home. I venture they are not from the south. Liver and onions and fried chicken livers were standard fare for most southerners in the 50s and 60s. Then came cholesterol and liver moved to the forbidden list. Kind of like coconut and coconut oil. Ahhh progress.....

At any rate we love liver and we love pates. So this was perfect for us. Pate was on our Thanksgiving menu. I made a recipe from Southern Living's Thanksgiving issue. It was good but not as good as Dorie's recipe. The Southern Living one was served with Cranberry Pecan Chutney. Now that was good! Its become our favorite cranberry recipe.  I've even canned some. I just add the pecans when I open the jar.  You should try this. Its easy and delicious!
Cranberry Chutney

Back to chopped liver. If you like liver you will love this. If you don't like liver this won't change your mind. This is one of my favorite recipes to date. Its easy to make and elegant to serve. Its also good on white bread as a sandwich and so much better than any liver product you buy at the grocery. Loved it!

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. So much to do. So little time. I wish you joy. And peace.

Remember, you can find all our thoughts on chopped liver on the French Friday website. Follow us as we cook our way through Dorie Greenspan's marvelous book, Around My French Table.

11 comments:

  1. Yeah, if I didn't know I liked pate, I would have been totally grossed out by the process and never would have taken a bite. But, thankfully, that wasn't the case. So glad this was a new favorite from the book. Your chutney looks marvelous, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny? This is definitely one that has divided the troops! I happen to be in the liver camp, so no worries for me. I really loved the spices, and now need to search out a way to use that combination more.

    Your chutney looks wonderful! It's one of those things that I love to make, so I will have to look up the recipe. Happy that this was such a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and since I was not on team liver (and remain on team sugar crusted french toast instead.....) I was especially pleased to see that you shared a wonderful cranberry recipe. Fabulous. And don't think I didn't see that Chateau St. Michelle wine peeking out in your photo. Ah, Seattle memories all over again. Well done !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The liver actually looks pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the comment "if you don't like liver this won't change your mind". That is so true. We loved this and Hubby can't wait for me to make it again. I am going to copy that cranberry recipe, it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like chopped liver, and I did love this. It's similar to what we usually make but chunkier plus I really liked the quatre epices. Enjoy the holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thank you for the Cranberry Pecan Chutney recipe. Southerners do know how to cook. I went to Florida State for undergrad so couldn't go back to Iowa for Thanksgiving - too short a break. I always was invited home to one of my sorority sisters for Thanksgiving. The groaning table was something - all kinds of dishes and preparations this little Iowa girl had never seen before. As I recall, I tried and learned to love it all. I don't remember liver but I do remember okra. I currently have two jars of Pickled Okra in my fridge. I liked this chopped liver recipe and wasn't at all replused by making it but just couldn't get past the cholesterol barrier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The chopped liver was a winner with Bill and me, too! I froze half of it, so that I could serve it at a Christmas party this week…I read that it freezes well…we’ll see! That chutney sounds so yummy…will definitely give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chopped liver looks great with the chopped egg on top! I must make the chunky version soon, with your suggested cranberry pecan chutney!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I grew up with liver (my dad was a farm boy) but I still can't feel the love for it...
    Glad you enjoyed and that chutney sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cranberry chutney looks excellent - you've sold me on that one (although probably not on the liver!).

    ReplyDelete